Sunday 10 July 2011

...To Say I Love You

My second guest was Celia. One of the things we did was take a boat on the Neckar just like Laura and I did, but you can imagine the photos from the last post. (I didn't have my camera with me and I didn't get those ones off of Celia...)

Something else we did on the spur of the moment was go to Bebenhausen- the monastery. We were there just as the sun was going down.
We thought we were too late, as the sun was no longer shining in the cloister.
We were mistaken though. It turned out we had picked the perfect day to visit Bebenhausen. A door into the inner cloister was open (you normally need to pay) so we went in and found lots of people wearing fancy clothes and drinking sekt. Just as we were about to turn around and go, someone said to us, "Oh its an German American Institute event, but you're not disturbing anyone... You could even have a glass of wine and no one would know." How nice. We did this.

We also took her words to mean "you can help yourselves to the buffet as much as you like." I think we both had 4 sandwiches each, but I was very disappointed that there was no dessert- let alone multiple desserts in one bowl. We knew that we were not alone in our deceit as there was a family who live in my halls of east Asian decent, also helping themselves. They left at about the same time as us. On our way through the little village, before the long uphill climb back to where I live, we stopped for some fun on the big swing in the playground. The photo is blurry but it was fun.
We couldn't have an intensive sight-seeing programme, because most of the things to do round here involve walking to castles, and the weather forecast was bad the whole time. We did go to the castle in Tuebingen, which is an archaeology museum. Afterwards before we decided to go to the cinema, we went to the "Schloßcafe," a pub near the castle, where you can play games. We played scrabble- it is very difficult to play in a language if it is not your mother tongue. We could only use short words. Our scores are on this photo, but after a while it became too depressing and we started making words and phrases of our own.

For those of you for some reason not fluent in Dutch, this means "Oh how nice." The Dutch say it a lot. Wat leuk.
There was still time for some touristy photo taking and a last icecream. This photo, although not so flattering, shows two of my favourite things- the occasional icecream and sitting on the wall over the river.
Thank you to both of you for visiting me :) I will be seeing you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment