Wednesday 13 July 2011

Heidelberg

As I haven't really been that many places in Germany since I've been here, I decided to go to Heidelberg, as I've heard it's nice. Luckily 2 friends came with me which meant we could get a group ticket, which cut the cost down nicely.
Look who was waiting to greet us when we arrived:
It turns out everyone's (second/third) favourite catholic is visiting Germany, it's such a shame I won't be there.
This is the bridge. It is a very famous bridge, and I know that it was built as a replacement for all the other wooden ones which got swept away by very high water.
They've also dammed the river up a bit so it will probably never get that high again. Then we went inside the schloß, which was very pretty but a bit disapplointing. There was no information inside, so we didn't learn anything. I'm not someone to stand and read everything but, a little bit of information about what this room used to be and how so and so used to do this and that here and there. It is quite a rotten castle, only ruins and a big tower which is half collapsed.
The lighting was really bad so I only look one photo really. It is of a huge barrel of wine. When does a barrel become a vat? Maybe it is a vat. It was very large anyway, as this photo shows the size of the curves against humans.
Luckily there was some information about this (literally the only information there was I think...) and it was never completely full and leaked a lot of wine so they decided just to use it as decoration.

After that we decided to find a beergarden as it was so hot and we we're hungry and thirsty. Mmm. It turned out to be a beergarden which served Cuban food.
Where shall I do my next daytrip to? I probably shouldn't as I have exams until I leave, but they don't actually count at all, as long as I have learned the material for them. Hoorah!

No comments:

Post a Comment